*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Saturday, October 28, 2017

"Dog Man" and "Dog Man: Unleashed" by Dav Pilkey

The Captain Underpants books are insanely popular at my library. As in, almost always checked out because the kids love them that much, popular. However, they just aren't for me. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the concept and love that they get kids (especially boys) excited about reading. But for my personal enjoyment, I just can't get passed the potty jokes. However, I had enough kids ask for Dav Pilkey's Dog Man books, that I decided to give them a try- and I sure am glad that I did!

The premise of the series is simple: George and Harold (of Captain Underpants fame) have teamed up to write comics about a police office who has the body of a cop and the head of a dog. His nemesis is an evil cat. He does great deeds for the community, but has a problem with getting distracted by simple pleasures like dead fish and playing ball. Told in comic style, the books follow Dog Man and crew on zany adventures to save the day. The writing is simple, but appealing. There are several jokes here and there that I know would go over the heads of children, but as an adult I chuckled (so parents who are looking for something to read with your kiddos, this one is for you!).

My only complaint about the books is that some elements do not work while reading digitally. Lately, I have been reading more and more books on my phone (insert exclamation about the amazing Libby app here) and there are quite a few instances of "Flip-O-Rama" (turning the pages back and forth to get a movement effect). This idea works great in a book, but didn't do so much for me in the ebook world. However, this is a minor thing that doesn't take much away from the experience as a whole.

Though I think this series will appeal to more boys, I can see both boys and girls enjoying this book. It would also be a fun read-aloud for the whole family (as long as everyone can see the pictures). THe third book is currently checked out at my library (all ten copies!), but I know I will be reading it as well, very soon

Happy Reading!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...